- 1 spray(s) cooking spray, butter-flavored if possibleFor the crust
- 1 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small chunks
- 2 Tbsp water, at room tempFor the filling
- 4 medium fresh apple(s), peeled, cored and sliced 1/4-inch thick*
- 1/4 cup(s) sugar
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp water, at room temp For the crumble
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup(s) uncooked rolled oats
- 5 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp sugar
Place oven rack in middle of oven. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Coat a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray.
To make crust, combine flour, sugar and salt in bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade; whiz to combine. Scatter butter over flour mixture; pulse until dough resembles coarse meal. Slowly add water, adding another tablespoon if needed, until dough comes together. Place dough in prepared pan and press dough up sides and around bottom to form a crust; prick bottom of crust with a fork 5 or 6 times.
To make filling, combine all filling ingredients in a medium bowl and toss gently to combine; evenly spread filling over crust.
To make crumble, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Add oats, flour and sugar; stir to combine and scatter over apples.
Bake for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350ºF and continue baking until crust and crumble are golden and apples are juicy, about 30 to 40 minutes. If pie crust or crumble is getting too dark, cover with foil for last 20 minutes of baking. Let rest at least 30 minutes before slicing into 8 pieces and serving. Yields 1 piece per serving.